Sound recording and transcripts

Parties to proceedings or their legal representatives can request a copy of the sound recording.​​

Sound recordings are available for most NCAT hearings. Conciliation and mediation sessions are not recorded as they are confidential.​

NCAT does not generally provide hearing transcripts. Exceptions apply for certain matters.

Request a sound recording

To request a copy of the sound recording:

  1. Complete the​ Request for sound recording form (PDF , 162.2 KB)
  2. Send the completed form with payment to your nearest NCAT Registry by post or attend in person.

Secure email delivery

NCAT provides sound recordings using a secure email service called Kiteworks. You will be required to set up a Kiteworks account to allow you to access the secure MP3 audio file. The download link will expire after 14 days. 

Read the step by step guide on How to use Kiteworks to receive NCAT files (PDF , 869.7 KB).

Postal delivery

NCAT sound recordings are provided on a CD. You can listen to the recording on a computer using the speakers or headphones. You may also use a DVD or CD player that can play MP3 or WMA audio files.

How to arrange a tran​​​script

​To arrange for a transcript:

  1. Request a copy of the sound recording.
  2. Contact a transcription service to order a transcript of the sound recording provided by NCAT.

Finding a transcription service

There are many transcription services available in NSW.  Enter 'legal transcription service nsw​' into your web search engine to locate a service near you.​

Exceptions for certain matters

Transcripts are available for some hearings in NCAT's Administrative & Equal Opportunity Division, Occupational Division or Appeal Panel where:

  • A transcript has been prepared at the request of a Member, or 
  • Part of the hearing was confidential and no sound recording is available. A transcript of the public part of the hearing can be ordered.​​

Acceptable use and copyright of sound recordings

Sound recordings are subject to Crown Copyright. They must not be copied, published or uploaded to any website or social media platform without the express permission of the Tribunal. A party wishing to copy, publish or upload a sound recording must make an application to the Tribunal using the Application for miscellaneous matters (PDF , 71.2 KB) and ask for an order allowing the reproduction or release under section 9B of the Court Security Act 1995.

Last updated:

21 Oct 2021

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top