How to apply

You can apply to NCAT to make certain decisions, review decisions or​ resolve a dispute.

Can NCAT deal with my case?

NCAT deals with a wide range of everyday issues and disputes.  These include resolving disputes about tenancy and building works, decisions about guardianship, and administrative review of government decisions

The application process can vary for different types of cases. Time limits may ​​​also apply.

Apply online

You can apply online for all Consumer and Commercial Division case types

This includes applications about housing and property such as tenancy or social housing, and cases about consumers and businesses.

For all other cases please download an application form in PDF-fillable format.

How to apply online

To apply online following these 5 steps:

  1. Gather information and documents needed for your application
  2. Register / Log in to NCAT Online Services (100 points of ID vertification required)
  3. Complete the online form. Allow appropriate 30 minutes.
  4. Pay the application fee using a credit card
  5. Receive your notice of hearing immediately online, or later by email or post.

Read our user guides to help you to create an online account to start and manage your case using NCAT Online Services.

Complete an application form

All NCAT application forms are available for download in PDF-fillable format

You will need to provide the following information on your application:

  • Your name and contact details
  • The other party's name and contact details
  • Orders you want NCAT to make
  • Reasons why you want those orders made.

If your case is about an urgent issue, find out how to apply for an urgent hearing.

Fees and charges

An application fee may be payable depending on your case type. A reduced concession fee is available for eligible persons.  View our fees and charges.

Time limits

Time limits may apply to your application. Check if time limits apply by reading the information for your type of case..

Applying against a business or company

If you are making an application about a business or company you can search ASIC Registers for the individual or company that owns the business, the registered name and address, and their ABN or ACN.

Federal jurisdiction

If the other party in your case is a permanent resident in another State, your application may be affected by federal jurisdiction.

Last updated:

19 Nov 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top