Aged-care and disability services

There are a wide range of aged-care and disability services that can provide information and help to parties at NCAT.

Government departments

Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACAT) carry out assessments of your aged-care needs and help connect you to a service. Usually, a referral from your doctor to the ACAT is needed for services to be provided.

Australian Department of Health provides information about the variety of ageing and aged care services it funds and contemporary issues relating to health and ageing.

Centrelink can make payments to a family member or friend nominated by the person entitled to a Centrelink payment. This may help with managing the person's finances without the need for a formal financial management order.

Community Justice Centres provide free mediation services and can help family members who disagree about what should happen for a person who cannot make their own decisions.

Department of Veterans' Affairs offers a range of services for veterans and their families, including pensions, medical and home care services, support supplements, loans and advice.

National Disability Provider Finder helps people with disabilities, carers and their families search for advocacy agencies funded by the Australian government.

Legal Aid NSW - Mental Health Advocacy Service provides free legal information and advice about mental health law and guardianship matters.

NSW Ageing and Disability Commission is an independent agency of the NSW government. Their role is to better protect older people and adults with disability from abuse, neglect and exploitation from someone they know living in their home or community, and to promote their fundamental human rights.

NSW Department of Health runs the NSW Area Health Service which funds public health services, develops policy, manages public health issues, and monitors the performance of the health system.

NSW Public Guardian may be appointed by NCAT as guardian for a person who is unable to make their own decisions. The Private Guardian Support Unit provides information and support to private guardians.

NSW Trustee and Guardian can act as an independent and impartial executor, administrator and trustee for NSW residents. It can assist in the making of wills, financial estate planning and administration, and the making of powers of attorney.

Community organisations

Alzheimer's Australia NSW provide information and support to people who have dementia and their family and carers. Dementia helpline - 1800 100 500.

Carers NSW offers support, service information and advice to carers of the frail aged and people with disabilities. Freecall 1800 242 636.

Cerebral Palsy Alliance provides information, advice and a variety of services to people with cerebral palsy and their families and carers.

Combined Pensioners and Superannuants Association (CPSA) offers support, service information and advice to pensioners and superannuants as well as promoting their rights and dignity.

Council on the Ageing (COTA) NSW provides counselling and information on issues relating to the aged. 

Deaf Society NSW provides specialist services for Deaf and hard of hearing people and their families in NSW.

Down Syndrome NSW provides service information, advice and assistance to people with Down syndrome, their families and carers.

Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) provides free legal and advocacy services for people who have an intellectual disability.

Mental Health Carers NSW provides education and support to carers of people with a mental illness. It seeks to promote a better understanding of mental illness within the community.

Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association (MDAA) provides service information, advice and support to people with a disability from a non-English speaking background and their families and carers.

People With Disability (PWD) provides service information, advice, advocacy and representation to people with a disability.

Seniors Ri​ghts Service provides free, confidential advocacy, advice and legal services for older people in NSW.

Synapse is the leading advocacy organisation in NSW for people with brain injury, their carers and family.  They can assist with support and representation.  Freecall 1800 673 074

Vision Australia provides services, information, advice and support to people who are blind or have low vision.

WayAhead links people to services and resources that improve their mental health. WayAhead support line - 1300 794 991.

Find an advocacy or service provider

Disability Advocacy Finder helps people with disabilities, carers and their families search for advocacy agencies funded by the Australian government.

My Aged Care Services Finder helps you find aged care providers and services in your area and the steps you need to consider.

Last updated:

12 Oct 2022

We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top