Interpreters and translators

If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English, or you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment​, you may be able to get an interpreter to help you at NCAT.​

Requesting an interpreter

​If you are a party to proceedings and you need an interpreter, NCAT can organise this for you. This service is free of charge.

Auslan (Australian Sign Language) interpreters can be arranged for parties with a hearing or speech impairment.

A request for an interpreter should be made as early as possible. When asking for an interpreter you need to tell us:

  • ​​the language
  • dialect (if needed)
  • gender of the interpreter (if important).

If one of your witnesses or your representative (such as a property manager) requires an interpreter, you will need to organise an appropriately qualified interpreter yourself. Please contact the NCAT Registry​ for more information. 

Role of the interpreter

The role of an interpreter is to bridge the communication gap between two or more parties who do not speak the same language.

The interpreter must:

  • Be impartial. The interpreter cannot help you or the other party, they can only interpret the words each person uses
  • Keep everything that is said and interpreted confidential

The interpreter cannot:

  • Add or delete from the communication, but only interpret what has been said
  • Provide you with advice or give his or her opinions or any other assistance
  • Conduct the proceedings
  • Speak to you outside the conciliation or hearing session. 

Translation services

​​If you need documents translated to English for the hearing, contact Multicultural NSW or other professional translation service.

Telephone interpreting service 

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 13 14 50 and ask them to telephone NCAT on 1300 006 228.

Last updated:

29 Nov 2022

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top