Get legal help and advice

There are a wide range of services in NSW that can help you with free or low-cost legal information, advice and assistance.

Legal assistance with your matter

LawAcces​s NSW

LawAccess NSW provides legal inform​​ation, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

Legal Aid ​​NSW

Legal Aid NSW provides​​​ legal services to disadvantaged clients across NSW in most areas of criminal, family and civil law. Legal Aid's Tenancy Appeals Advice Line also provides free legal advice about an appeal of an NCAT tenancy decision. 

Community Justice Cen​​​tres

Community Justice Centres p​​​rovide free mediation services to help people reach an agreement on a wide range of disputes.

Home Building Advocacy Se​​rvice

The Home Building Advocacy Service is run by Western Sydney Community Legal Centre for home owner​​​s who have already attempted to resolve their home building dispute through NSW Fair Trading.

Find Legal Answe​​​​​rs

Find Legal Answers is a free online legal information resource for people living in NSW. This service is co-ordinated by the State Library of NSW.

Seniors Rights Ser​​​vice

The Seniors Rights Service is a community legal centre that provides advocacy, advice and education to older people in NSW.

Tenants Advice and Advoc​​acy Services

Tenants NSW website provide free information and advice to tenants, boarders and lodgers, and residential community residents. Visit to find the contact details of the service that covers your postcode.

Aboriginal Tenants A​​​​dvice and Advocacy Services

NSW Aboriginal Tenants Advice Services provide free advice and advocacy for Aboriginal tenants living in NSW.

Other organisations that may help

Australian Securities and Investm​​​​​ent Commission (ASIC)

ASIC is Australia's corporate regulator. They provide general information and advice for companies, businesses and consumers. Search the ASIC Registers for current information on companies and business names.

Housing Appeals Committe​​e

The Housing Appeals Committee is an independent agency which deals with appeals from people who are unhappy with decisions made by NSW social housing providers.

NSW Fair Tra​​​ding

NSW Fair Trading provides information and assistance to consumers and people with disputes about home building, renting, strata living, retirement villages and residential communities.

NSW Health Care Complai​​​​nts Commission (HCCC)

The Health Care Complaints Commission acts to protect public health and safety by dealing with complaints about health service providers in NSW.

NSW Ombudsma​​​​n

The NSW Ombudsman investigates complaints relating to the public sector and the provision of community services in NSW.

NSW Small Business Comm​​​​issioner

The NSW Small Business Commissioner provides advice for small business owners and mediation services for retail tenancy matters.

NSW Trustee and Gua​​​rdian

The NSW Trustee and Guardian supports the people of NSW to plan for their future legal, health and financial decisions. NCAT may appoint the NSW Trustee and Guardian as the financial manager of a person with a decision making disability.

NSW Public Gua​​​rdian

NCAT may appoint the Public Guardian as the guardian of a person with a decision making disability. They also provide information and support to private guardians.

Victims Serv​​​ices

Victims Services is part of the NSW Department of Justice and Communities and provides support services including free counselling and financial assistance to victims of crime in NSW.

Last updated:

20 Oct 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top