Social housing

​NCAT deals with social housing tenancy disputes between social housing provider landlords and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Social housing cases are managed through NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division.

What is social housing

Social housing is owned or managed by a government authority or community housing providers and made available for rent to eligible persons. Social housing includes:

  • Public housing owned or managed by Housing NSW or NSW Land and Housing Corporation.
  • Community housing managed by community housing associations.
  • Aboriginal housing owned by Aboriginal corporations including Local Aboriginal Land Councils and the Aboriginal Housing Off​ice.

All social housing tenancies are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. View the definition of social housing provider under the Act.

How to apply

You can apply online for a social housing application.

Download and complete the application form. Lodge your application at any NCAT Registry or Service NSW service centre. 

Refer to the Tenancy and social housing fact sheet (PDF , 400.5 KB) for the types of orders that can be made.


Fees are payable for social housing applications. View our fees and charges.

What happens next

Social housing applications are listed for conciliation and hearing. Check the notice of hearing from NCAT and follow the instructions provided.

Read the hearing preparation checklist to prepare for your hearing. 

Orders NCAT can make 

NCAT has jurisdiction to determine social housing matters up to $30,000 for rental bond matters and $15,000 in respect to any other matter.

Refer to the Tenancy and social housing fact sheet (PDF, 366.1 KB) for the full list of orders that can be made.

NCAT cannot determine appeals about administrative decisions made by a social housing provider such as eligibility, allocations, rent subsidies and transfers.


The following legislation applies to social housing disputes.

Organisations that can help

NCAT cannot provide legal advice. Find out how we can and cannot assist. Below are some organisations that can provide help or advice about your case.

Last updated:

28 Aug 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top