Agricultural tenancy

NCAT can hear and decide an issue or dispute about farms one hectare or larger that are occupied or used by a tenant for agricultural purposes.

Agricultural tenancy cases are managed through NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division.

Orders NCAT can make

NCAT can make orders in agricultural tenancy cases including:

  • Access to farm
  • Termination of the tenancy
  • Payment of money or compensation (maximum $500,000).

For more information about the orders NCAT can make, refer to the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1990.

    Check if your matter is affected by federal jurisdiction.

    How to apply

    You can apply online. Learn how we handle your confidentiality and privacy.

    What do I need to do before completing this application?

    Gather your evidence

    Relevant information includes:

    • Agricultural tenancy agreement
    • Receipts or invoices
    • Witness statements or affidavits.

    Correctly identify the other party

    To make a claim against a person, business or company, you need to use their correct name or legal entity. You also need the correct address for service. 

    If the other party is a business or company, search ASIC's Registers and attach the search to your application.

    NCAT may ask you for more information to ensure the other party's details are correct. Not providing correct details can cause delays or the making of unenforceable orders.

    Need more information?

    Application fee

    View our current application fees and charges.

    Concession card holders are eligible for a reduced fee. Have your concession card with you when you lodge the application to claim the reduced fee. 

    Time limits

    You must apply to NCAT within 3 months of the tenancy ending or dispute arising.

    What happens next

    Agricultural tenancy cases are first listed for conciliation and hearing. Check the notice of hearing from NCAT and follow the instructions provided. If your case is not resolved at the first hearing it may be listed for a contested hearing on a later date.

    Read the hearing preparation checklist to prepare for your hearing. 

    Can someone represent me?

    Most people represent themselves at NCAT. You can conduct your own case without a lawyer or other representative. If you want to be represented you can find out more about representation at NCAT.

    Organisations that can help

    NCAT cannot provide legal advice. For more information, go to Get legal help and advice for organisations that provide free or low-cost legal advice and information. Find out how we can and cannot assist.

    Last updated:

    19 Nov 2023

    Was this content useful?
    We will use your rating to help improve the site.
    Please don't include personal or financial information here
    Please don't include personal or financial information here
    Top Return to top of page Top